Now celebrating 10 years of work and preparing for the next decade, we seek a Development Director to lead our organization’s fundraising and communications efforts. A key focus will be building partnerships to raise funds to address the systemic issues of seasonal hunger and food insecurity in coffee-growing communities and develop partnerships with members of the specialty coffee industry, sustainable agriculture, and international development communities. We are looking for a passionate, creative advocate, with strong communication and relationship management skills. This position will report to and collaborate closely with the executive director, oversee two staff members, and is a member of our senior management team. Ideally, the Development Director will be based in the Burlington, Vermont area, but we will consider candidates who are qualified to lead our development efforts remotely. We also offer flexible work hours, ability to work from home, and a four-day work week if preferred. Salary range: $65,000 – $75,000 DOE.
The development director will be our organization’s chief advocate to build our community of supporters and advocates for small-scale coffee-farming families creating positive change, economic and food justice in their rural communities. The development director will lead all fundraising and outreach initiatives, and will take the lead in building and sustaining strong, long-term relationships with our donors. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five years of development experience, including successful major gift and grant proposals, with excellent writing and communication skills. Experience managing donor management systems, WordPress websites, and other fundraising technology, as well as managing and coaching staff and volunteers, is a must.
The development director will be comfortable presenting at coffee industry and other professional networking and trade shows, and knowledgeable about preparing for and staffing events. Reporting to the executive director, the development director will be creative, knowledgeable, and experienced in coordinating nonprofit giving strategies, stewardship, and enlisting our network of donors, peer organizations, staff, Board, and volunteers to meet our strategic development goals.
- Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan.
- Plan and evaluate fundraising campaigns and related activities.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with foundation, corporate, and individual donors.
- Identify and cultivate prospective leadership donors ($1,000+).
- Oversee donor management system and staff responsible for data entry and gift processing.
- Manage development events and promotional campaigns.
- Develop and track proposals and reports for foundations and other leadership donors.
- Manage budget reporting for fundraising programs.
- Research best practices within the nonprofit community regarding fundraising.
- Oversight of the organization’s marketing and communications, including website, social media, and events.
- Recruit and train fundraising and communications staff and volunteers.
- 10% development travel to major donors, trade shows and other events, and to our projects in Latin America, as safety protocols allow.
- Superb leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Five years of professional experience in fundraising, sales, or marketing, with a track record closing six figure gifts/sales.
- Experience leading marketing communications (PowerPoint, websites, videos, brochures, promotional materials, graphics).
- Excellent communication skills, able to communicate complex ideas clearly, compellingly, and with emotional appeal.
- High attention to detail.
- Demonstrated management, coaching, and advocacy skills.
- Spanish Proficiency
- Track record in raising >$500k/yr.
- Experience with fundraising software and tools, including CRM software.
- Leadership experience in an international development organization or domestic nonprofit.
- Previous experience in the coffee industry.
Download the full job description here (PDF).
Please send resume, cover letter, references, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled